Financial Literacy Bee Contest Terms and Eligibility
For details and rules regarding the national $10,000; $6,000; and $4,000 scholarship prizes sponsored by Southland and hosted by EVERFI, please click here. For terms and eligibility regarding Southland Credit Union's $1,000 scholarship prize for Los Angeles County and Orange County students, please read the following rules.
All winners must have a 529 Savings Plan in place in order to accept scholarship prizes. Both the national and Southland-exclusive prizes will be awarded in the form of a 529 Savings Plan Gift card. Student and parents can review the ScholarShare529 website for information on 529 Savings Plans in the state of California. Please carefully review the national contest terms from EVERI and Los Angeles County and Orange County contest terms below before entering.
SOUTHLAND CREDIT UNION $1,000 SCHOLARSHIP PRIZE
1. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY IN ORDER TO ENTER THE CONTEST. The Financial Literacy Bee begins on April 1, 2021 and ends on April 15, 2021.
2. USAGE OF SOUTHLAND’S PRODUCTS OR SERVICES WILL NOT IMPROVE AN INDIVIDUAL ENTRY’S CHANCES OF WINNING.
3. Sponsor: This Contest is sponsored by Southland Credit Union, 10701 Los Alamitos Blvd., Los Alamitos, CA 90720.
4. Eligibility: This scholarship Contest is open to any Los Angeles County area or Orange County area student between 13-18 years of age on April 1, 2021, who completes all five challenges in the National Financial Bee course. Entries must be submitted by April 15, 2021. Credit Union employees, officials and members of their immediate
families are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
5. Entries: Over the course of this two-week challenge, students will complete financial literacy courses on four topics: the importance of savings, savings for short-term goals, budgeting for medium-term goals, and investing for long-term goals. After completing the four lessons, students are invited to submit a short essay to showcase what they learned and how they will apply this new information in their own lives. One student will be chosen to win a $1,000 scholarship prize, and their essay will be shared on the Southland Credit Union website and magazine.
6. Prize Drawings: A committee of judges will select the winner by May 15 and will be announced by May 21, 2021. Entries will be judged based on creativity, the content of the message, quality of writing, and demonstrated understanding of the financial concepts from the course. One winner will be chosen.
7. Prize Distribution: One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded in the form of a 529 Savings Plan gift card. For more information about the gift card, please visit ugift.com. Winners will be contacted via email and will receive a redemption form which must be completed by a parent or guardian within one week of receipt to claim the gift. The winner must have an eligible 529 Savings Plan to redeem the scholarship. Winner will be asked for their 529 Savings Plan gift code to receive the gift transfer. For more information on eligible 529 Savings Plans in the State of California, please visit ScholarShare529.com.
8. Liability/General Rules: By participating, entrant agrees to (a) the Official Rules and the decisions of the Credit Union; (b) to release, discharge and hold harmless the Credit Union, its officers, directors, employees and agents, from all claims, damages and liability arising out of participation in the contest and the acceptance, use, misuse or possession of any prize received in this contest; and (c) to the use of their first name, last initial and/or likeness for advertising purposes without further compensation, except where prohibited by law. The Credit Union is not responsible for any loss, which may occur in connection with the Sweepstakes. The Credit Union is not responsible for printing or typographical errors in any contest-related materials; for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, postage-due, incomplete, or illegible entries; or for transactions that are lost, misdirected, fail to enter into the processing system, or are processed, reported, or transmitted late or incorrectly or are lost for any reason including computer, telephone, paper transfer, human malfunction or error. Prizes cannot be substituted, converted to cash, assigned, or transferred by winners. The Credit Union reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value should the featured prizes become unavailable for any reason. The Credit Union reserves the right to disqualify entrants who fail to follow these Official Rules and regulations or who make any misrepresentations relative to the Contest and redemption of a prize. The Credit Union will report all prize winnings to the appropriate state and federal agencies as required by applicable law. Winners are responsible for all tax consequences and fees (if any) of the prizes.
9. Claim Period: Winners will be notified via email. Winners must respond to their confirmation email within 7 days to claim their prize. Failure to claim a prize will result in a forfeit on your part. Prizes will be distributed electronically via a 529 Savings Plan gift card. Students must have an eligible 529 Savings Plan to receive the scholarship.
10. Choice of Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and the Credit Union in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive laws of the State of California, USA, without regard to choice of law rules.